The online Master of Education in Elementary Education is a professional degree for graduate students who want to enhance their ability to meet the needs of diverse learners in their classrooms, as well as broaden their understanding of educational theories and research as they apply to practice and policy.
There is one 36-credit MEd option, however, those students who received their teaching certificate from the University of Pittsburgh will be admitted to the program with advanced standing. These students will need to take only 18 additional credits and will use 18 credits from their graduate certification program to complete the 36-credit requirement. Similarly, if a student completed a graduate education program at another university, he/she will be granted up to 12 advanced credits. These courses will be transferred into the 36-credit MEd program and an additional 24 credits will be completed at the University of Pittsburgh.
Please note that there are no specific pre-requisites for the program.
We encourage the following candidates to apply:
- Former certification candidates who completed their coursework at the University of Pittsburgh
- People who completed a certification in an undergraduate program
- People who completed a graduate-level certification program at a university other than the University of Pittsburgh
- International students who are not eligible for a teacher certification program but would like to earn a masters degree in elementary education
Admissions Requirements are as follows:
- Completed School of Education Admissions Application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) by credit card, check, or money order payable to ‘University of Pittsburgh’.
- Submit transcripts with an undergraduate degree and a teaching certificate posted (if you are a former Professional Year student).
- Official, third-party evaluation of all international transcripts for applicants who have not received a master’s degree within the United States. We strongly recommend using World Education Services (WES) to complete this service.
- If you are new to the University of Pittsburgh, submit a letter of recommendation from two people who know your academic work and/or your clinical work in elementary classrooms.
- If you are a returning student, you do not need to submit new recommendations so put the word ‘waived’ in the space on the application.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA in your teacher certification program (undergraduate or graduate).
- A written career goal statement if you are new to the University of Pittsburgh. If you are a returning student, this requirement is waived.
- A copy of TOEFL scores for international students who did not attend English-speaking universities.
Feel free to contact us with questions or for application assistance at any time.
Admissions and Enrollment Services
General Email: email@example.com
School of Education
5500 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 South Bouquet Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15260