A vinyl cutter is a computer-controlled machine that uses a blade to precisely cut 2D digital designs out of thin, flexible materials. Materials range from vinyl sticker material to paper and fabric. Typical finished products that people make using the vinyl cutter in the Open Lab include:
Laptop stickers or water bottle stickers
T-shirts with custom graphics
Disposable marketing stickers
At Open Lab, we will teach you how to use Silhouette Studio software to turn your design into a cuttable file; how to use our vinyl cutters to cut that design; and how to properly apply your finished design to your desired surface. Once you have been trained, you are an Approved User of our vinyl cutters and can use them free of charge. Vinyl cutter training is available through Open Lab @ Canvas; supplementary training or assistance available by appointment.
Faculty members interested in incorporating vinyl cutting into the courses they teach are encouraged to to set up a consultation with a full-time Open Lab staff member.
Vinyl Cutter Station
- Location: Open Lab @ Hillman
- Training: Pre-training online through Open Lab @ Canvas; training available your choice of online or in person.
- Silhouette Cameo 4 Vinyl Cutter
- Heat Press for use with heat transfer vinyl
- Epson Color Inkjet Printer for use with printable materials
- Silhouette Studio
- Adobe Illustrator
- Permanent Sticker Vinyl* – Oracal 651
- Removable Sticker Vinyl* – Oracal 631
- Heat Transfer Vinyl* – Siser Easyweed
- Printable Heat Transfer Vinyl – Expressions Vinyl Printable Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Printable Sticker Paper – Avery 5165
- Printable Vinyl – Expressions Vinyl Printable Vinyl
* Materials are available in a variety of colors; colors are not guaranteed to be in stock.
Materials are for use with our vinyl cutters only. Please review the vinyl cutting section of the Open Lab member guidelines & handbook.
Course: Projects in Marketing
Professor: Bob Gilbert
In Spring 2019, a student group from Projects in Marketing, taught by Professor Bob Gilbert, approached us for assistance with a class project. They were tasked with coming up with a marketing campaign for Acura to promote their new 2019 Acura ILX. They were interested in incorporating Acura branding stickers into their campaign, but didn’t have a budget to purchase custom stickers. Our staff discussed the goals of their project with several of their team members, and they settled on a plan to design and produce several hundred Acura logo stickers to use both as giveaways to attendees at a promotional event and to add branding to other items at the event.