Much work has been done in the fields of information technology and higher education to highlight, explain, and address issues in instructional accessibility. The resources listed here include sites that provide step-by-step instructions, as well as those that analyze and inform policy.
Tutorials, Guidelines, and How-To Manuals
These resources offer instructional guides and tutorials for creating accessible materials in the following media formats: HTML, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and PDF.
|Resource||For Guidance On:||Source:|
|Cheat sheets||HTML, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, PDF||National Center on Disability and Access to Education|
|Creating Accessible Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and PDF Documents (Video Tutorial)||MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, PDF||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|Making Files Accessible||HTML, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, PDF||U.S. Department of Health and Human Services|
|Microsoft Word 2010 508 Accessibility Checklist||MS Word||U.S. Social Security Administration|
|Triage for Accessifying Websites||HTML||Penn State|
|Web Accessibility in Mind Articles||HTML, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, PDF||WebAIM|
Accessibility checkers are online tools that scan a document or web page for the purpose of highlighting accessibility issues.
Organizations, Centers, Institutes, and Policy Advocates
These organizations exist to inform, educate, and advocate for educational and media accessibility. Their websites contain comprehensive and current information on accessibility issues.
- World Wide Web Consortium Web Accessibility Initiative
- National Center on Accessible Educational Materials
- National Center on Disability and Access to Education
- Association of Higher Education and Disability
- Center for Applied Technology
- WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies: Accessibility
- EDUCAUSE: Accessibility
Other University Sites
Several universities have developed extensive collections of resources on instructional accessibility.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access
- University of Washington: Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology
- Utah State University: WebAIM